The Institute of Health and Family Welfare (IHFW) is an autonomous body, which was established in 1992 under the direct control and supervision of the Department of Health & Family Welfare, Government of West Bengal. This Research and Training Institute was built with finance from the World Bank assisted IPP-IV and the charge was handed over to the Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of West Bengal on its completion in 1995 since when it started functioning. The functions of the institution include education, training, research, evaluation, consultancy and specialized services. IHFW is also the collaborating institute of the National Institute of Health and Family Welfare, New Delhi.
The institute has guided the development and publishing of a Standard Treatment Guidelines (STG) for the reference of the medical and paramedical practitioners working at the primary level health care facilities.
The institute carries out the following training programmes throughout the year:
- Inducton training for (i) the newly recruited medical officers of different Primary Health Centers and Block Primary Health Centers, (ii) for the Additional Medical Officers of different Primary Health Centers and (iii)for BMOHs.
- Administrative training for (i) Principals, MSVPs, Deputy Superintendents, Assistant Superintendents of different medical colleges, (ii) Superintendents of different hospitals and (iii) ACMOHs and Dy.CMOHs of the districts.
- Teachers’ training: Training of medical teachers of different medical colleges of all the disciplines on Medical Education, Research and Technocology.
- Training on vector borne diseases for medical officers of different PHC, BPHC, Rural Hospital.
- Training of vector borne diseases for Medical Officers of Calcutta Municipal Corporation.
- Training on Swine flu (H1N1) for medical officers.
- Training on Standard Treatment Guidelines for Medical Officers of different primary level health care facilities, monitoring officers and data entry operators.
- Training under RCH/NRHM (i) IUCD (Intra Uterine Contraceptive Device) and SAB (Skilled Attendant at Birth)
- Regional center for: (i) One year certificate course in Hospital Management through distance learning conducted by NIHFW, New Delhi and (ii) One year certificate course in Health and Family Welfare Management conducted by NIHFW, New Delhi.
- Disease control programme and workshop.
- Other trainings are organized as requested by the Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of West Bengal from time to time.